Have dinner on the table in no time with this tasty Hainanese chicken rice.
Hainanese chicken rice with onion sauce recipe
- 8 green onions
- 2 pcs 4cm pieces ginger
- 1.5 kg whole chicken rinsed
- 2 cups white long-grain rice 400g
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or vegetable oil 60ml
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
- Coriander sprigs to serve
- Soy sauce to serve
- Red chilli sliced, to serve
- Cut 4 green onions into 5cm lengths and 1 piece of ginger into slices. Place in a large saucepan and fill to 3/4 with water. Place pan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Add chicken, breast side-down, and return to the boil. Cook for 15 minutes. Turn heat off. Cover pan with lid and leave chicken for 2 hours. (The residual heat will finish cooking the chicken.) Remove chicken and strain cooking liquid, reserving 3 cups – the remaining stock can be frozen for up to 1 month.
- Rinse rice in a sieve under cold running water, until water runs clean. Place rice and reserved stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil over meduim heat. Cover then reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile: using a heavy knife of cleaver, cut chicken into small pieces, or remove meat from bones then cut. Place chicken in a serving bowl. Cut remaining green onions into thin slices and finely grate remaining ginger, then combine in a heatproof bowl. Heat combined oils in a small frying pan over meduim heat until smoking, then pour over green onion mixture immediately. Stir in rice wine. Drizzle chicken with green onion sauce and top with coriander sprigs. Serve with the rice and small bowls of soy sauce and red chilli.