Asparagus and pistachio rice is the perfect addition to this creamy lemon chicken recipe.
Creamy lemon chicken with asparagus rice Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 600 g Chicken Breast Fillets thinly sliced
- 40 g butter
- 1 medium leek white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups button or cup mushrooms 300g thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 375 ml Salt Reduced Chicken
- 1 lemon zested, juiced
- 2/3 cup thickened cream 160ml
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Dried chilli flakes to serve (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups Medium Grain Rice 300g
- 2 1/2 cups Salt Reduced Chicken 625ml
- 20 g butter
- 1 bunch asparagus woody ends trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted, chopped 35g
- To make the asparagus rice, combine the rice, stock and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 mins or until liquid is absorbed and rice is just tender. Remove from heat. Stir in asparagus. Set aside, covered, for 5 mins or until asparagus is tender. Use a fork to separate the grains. Stir in the pistachio.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan over high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 1 min each side or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the frying pan. Add the leek, mushroom, thyme and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until the mushroom is golden. Stir in the stock and lemon juice. Bring to the boil. Cook for 8 mins or until liquid reduces by two-thirds.
- Return chicken to pan. Stir in cream. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 1 min or until heated through. Stir in half the chives.
- Divide asparagus rice and chicken mixture among serving bowls. Sprinkle with lemon zest, remaining chives and chilli flakes, if desired.